Sunday, February 9, 2014

Art House - The Fern Residency, Chembur

'It's a plain old Club Sandwich for heaven's sake! What's gonna be so different about it?' I said incredulously when my brother insisted that I try it on one of the weekends. He had been to the place for one of his innumerable business meetings when he had that sandwich for lunch. Finally, I gave in and said that I would try it.

Must say that the location of The Fern Residency surprised me. Tucked away into a dead-end alley, its surrounding area is probably one of the few remaining places in the city which can be truly called "Open". Of course, when the school that's coming up nearby starts operating the scene would look totally different :-(

I liked the lobby - with its pearly white decor, it looked inviting, airy, spacious and clean but without the sterile look that sometimes goes with the color. There wasn't much crowd - which, frankly, was a relief! A couple of foreigners chatting nineteen to the dozen shortly left leaving us to enjoy our lunch in peace. :-) So I ordered the sandwich - it comes with chicken, fried egg, cheese and ham but I asked for the 'no-ham' version. The image of the pig that I see in my mind's eye every time someone says 'ham' isn't particularly appetizing!


I am not a big eater so when the sandwich was served I was a bit alarmed at its size. Turns out I shouldn't have worried. It was so tasty that I devoured it in no time. The combination of cheese, chicken and the fried eggs was plainly speaking 'out-of-this-world'. The fries were crispy, perfectly seasoned and with a sizable portion. However, I don't think that the raw sprouts go well with the cucumber, iceberg and capsicum pieces in the salad.

I hate to admit it - as any elder sister would - that my younger brother was right about it. Well, at least this time :-)

No comments: